Select Home Warranty Summary
Select Home Warranty offers many advantages to their customers including free home warranty roof protection, a 30-day free trial, three home warranty plans, plus a unique list of optional add-ons for items that most companies don’t cover. Read on to learn why Select Home Warranty is the best warranty for your home.
Select Home Warranty plans
A common problem when choosing home warranty coverage is the ability to cover all but one or two of your systems and appliances. Fortunately, Select Home Warranty has three home warranty plans plus a unique list of optional add-ons for items that most companies don’t cover, including roof coverage, lawn sprinkler system protection, and septic system coverage.
Select Home Warranty offers three home warranty plans:
- Bronze Care (appliance plan)
- Gold Care (systems plan)
- Platinum Care (plan for both appliances and systems)
Select Home Warranty coverage
(systems and appliances)
Here’s a more detailed breakdown of the systems that Select covers:
The Select customer agreement covers the following plumbing system components: line leaks in water, drain, waste or vent lines not caused by damage resulting from freezing or from roots, toilet bowls, toilet tanks, toilet flushing mechanisms, angle stops, and risers. Items excluded include water softeners, slab leaks, and polybutylene pipes.
Your primary heating system will be covered under a Select Home Warranty contract. Additionally, condenser fan motors, compressors, condensers, thermostats, pressure switches, and transformers will all be covered.
Under a Select Home Warranty, the following electrical system components will be covered: wiring, service panels, sub-panels, switches, breakers, outlets, junction boxes, and ground fault interrupters. The agreement does not cover damage to the electrical system caused by flood, fire, water, rust, nor does it cover ductwork that’s been improperly sized or crushed.
Top systems and appliances covered
Select Home Warranty’s coverage begins 30 days after enrollment and lasts for a standard 12 months with the option to renew at the end of the year. The company offers two extra months for free on a promotional basis.
You can cancel your home warranty plan at any time during your contract. All companies charge an administration fee (usually $75), but customers will be refunded the prorated amount that you paid for at the time of enrollment.
Select Home Warranty will not cover:
- Home appliances or systems that have been improperly installed or insufficiently maintained. The sample contract reads, “Select reserves the right and may request prior years (3) maintenance records and/or pictures. Without proper maintenance records and pictures, the maximum payout on any system or appliance is up to $150.00.”
- Broken items with pre-existing conditions. The contract continues, “All systems and appliances must be in proper working order on the effective date of the service contract, as set forth in the schedule page accompanying this agreement. Any pre-existing conditions or defects causing the malfunction of system or appliance during the term will not be covered by this agreement.”
- Manufacturer’s defects or foundation and structural repairs.
This means customers must conduct routine maintenance, such as flushing a water heater or replacing HVAC filters, in order for their appliance or system to be covered.
Select Home Warranty service calls
Select has a 24-hour claims center. Customers can:
- Submit a claim online—https://selecthomewarranty.com/submitclaim
- Email the company—firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call the customer service center—1-855-267-3532
Note: Customers must submit a claim within three days of discovering the malfunctioning home appliances or system.
Once you’ve submitted a claim, Select will schedule an appointment with a local service contractor. It’s important that you wait for Select to choose a contractor rather than hiring a contractor before submitting a claim—they will not reimburse you for service conducted by an unapproved contractor.
The contractor will have two business days, or four days on weekends or holidays, to evaluate the necessary repair or replacement.
States covered under Select Home Warranty
*Select Home Warranty is available in all states except for Nevada, New Mexico, Washington, and Wyoming.
Select Home Warranty cost
Prospective customers will have to enter their contact information on Select Home Warranty’s website for a free quote. You’ll get a personalized quote in seconds and a follow-up call from customer service.
The House Method team requested a free quote to give our readers a better sense of Select’s plans and pricing. Prices range from $36 to $42 per month, although, customers can save $100 per year if they opt for an annual plan.
|Average monthly cost||Service fee|
*Note: Home warranty costs vary by location.
Select will charge a $75 service fee at most, which is used to pay the contractor who evaluates your home repair. This is an industry standard—for reference, most home warranty service fees range from $75–$125.
Select Home Warranty reviews
Select Home Warranty is one of the most trusted companies in the industry. Below are a few reviews from satisfied Select customers.
Will R. on June 25, 2018 reviewed Select Home Warranty on the Better Business Bureau:
Select Home Warranty has gone out of their way to ensure I have the best plan available. My plan is tailored for my needs and I was not pressured into purchasing something I didn’t need. Their customer service is excellent. Their claims department is fast. Everything you need to have a positive feeling when buying a home warranty.
Jennifer of Duluth, Georgia reviewed Select Home Warranty on ConsumerAffairs:
I didn’t have to wait long before someone answered and then, the representative was very knowledgeable about all the available coupons and deals so that I was getting the best possible deal. He also seemed very knowledgeable about the service calls and the need to add a supplemental for the coolant. I will recommend and will consider adding my rental property and hope to never need to use.
Roger of Elizabeth, Colorado reported on ConsumerAffairs:
Sol was reliable. He responded quickly to several questions and was always available when I called back. He provided advice on coverages to add or not include and offered me several choices on the details of coverage. I was also offered the choice of monthly or annual rates and the opportunity to have extended coverage for several years at the same cost as the initial plan. The options also included some items that were free of charge. At the conclusion of our discussion, I was provided two phone numbers I can use to make direct contact if I have questions, concerns or problems.
Alexander S. of Ashburn, Virginia reported on Consumers Advocate:
On roof leaks, this warranty is worth the value without hesitation. My house was built in ’95 and has had two roof leaks in a span of one year. The same roofer came twice and patched the hole. Very clean and very hospitable. I highly recommend.
Tari J. on Trustpilot:
The customer service representative was very knowledgeable and the pricing was $300 less than what I was paying.
Select Home Warranty ratings
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives Select a B rating, however, Select Home Warranty is not BBB Accredited. It’s important to note that Select has resolved or answered 2,261 customer complaints in the past three years, proving its responsiveness to customers.
Trustpilot has given Select Home Warranty a TrustScore of 8 out of 10, which is well above average. A company’s TrustScore is based on customer satisfaction rather than just an overall average of customer ratings.
Across all home warranty reviews, Select Home Warranty has an average score of 8 out of 10. Some important factors that customers and other review sites have considered include: flexible contracts, generous coverage limits, low prices, and responsive customer service.
Select Home Warranty At A Glance
|Waiting Period||30 days|
|Cancel without fee within||30 days|
|Period to cancel automatic renewal||30 days|
|Repair timeframe||2-4 business days|
Select Home Warranty is a good choice for you if…
- you have an old roof that’s prone to leaks.
- you want to cover your septic system.
- you’re looking for a company with responsive customer service.
Select might not be the best option for you if…
- you’re a homeowner who is looking for BBB-accredited businesses only.
House Method gives Select Home Warranty 4.75 out of 5 stars. It regularly offers money-saving promotions, like $100 off all annual home warranty plans, free roof coverage, and two extra months free. We also appreciate the additional coverage for septic systems and roof leaks, which we haven’t seen many other providers offers.
Select Home Warranty company information
- Company name: Select Home Warranty
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Alex Winters, Vice President of Customer Service
- Founding date: 1/13/2012
- Telephone: 317-204-4697
- Address: 1 International Blvd Ste 400 Mahwah, NJ 07495
- Country: USA
- State availability: 46 states
- Service fee: $75
- BBB rating: B
- Number of BBB complaints closed within last 3 years: 2,576
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does Select Home Warranty cover?
- Select Home Warranty has very comprehensive coverage. It offers three types of home warranty plans—Bronze Care, Gold Care, and Platinum Care—as well as additional coverage for specialty items. Select's home warranty coverage includes the following systems and appliances: - Clothes washer - Clothes dryer - Dishwasher - Stove/cooktop - Oven - Built-in microwave oven - Refrigerator - Garbage Disposal - Heating - Cooling - Ductwork - Electrical
- How much does Select Home Warranty cost?
- Select Home Warranty costs between $36 and $42 per month based on the quotes House Method received. Across the internet, we also saw monthly rates as low as $22 per month. Premium prices will vary based on location and the level of home warranty coverage customers choose. There is also a $75 service fee, which is paid to the pre-approved contractor at the time and place of appointment.
- Can I cancel my Select Home Warranty policy?
- If you cancel within 30 days of signing up, you're eligible for a full refund. After the first 30 days, Select Home Warranty customers can still cancel their home warranty plan at any time during their contract to receive a prorated amount. Note: Home warranty companies charge an administration fee which is required by law. Select's cancellation fee is $75.
- Does Select inspect my home systems and appliances before I enroll?
- No, Select Home Warranty does not require a home inspection prior to purchase. However, a home inspection can help you understand the current condition of your major systems and appliances and is worth getting before purchasing a house or home warranty.
- Is there a limit to the number of repairs Select covers?
- No, Select allows customers to make an unlimited amount of claims for covered repairs.