American Home Shield Summary
American Home Shield offers three home warranty plans, which includes their ShieldPlatinum™ plan, American Home Shield’s most comprehensive plan to date. American Home Shield plans help cover the cost when parts of up to 23 home appliances and systems wear out. If they can’t repair a covered item, they will replace it. They also provide roof leak repair coverage.
American Home Shield Cost
American Home Shield costs $20–$65 per month, but home warranty prices will vary by location and plans. Contact American Home Shield today for a more personalized quote.
American Home Shield charges a service fee between $75 and $125. The service fee is flexible because customers are allowed to choose a higher service fee in exchange for a lower annual premium fee. Customers can therefore set their own coverage cost depending on the amount of service they anticipate needing. You may also request service as many times as you want during your contract term.
American Home Shield Coverage
American Home Shield offers their ShieldSilver™, ShieldGold™, and ShieldPlatinum™ Plan. Over the last 50 years their focus has been on giving their members more. These industry leading plans provide even more value, coverage, and peace of mind than ever before.
|Helps protect parts of 14 major systems that keep your home running.
|Covers parts of up to 23 essential systems and appliances you use every day.
|Covers everything in ShieldSilver and ShieldGold, plus roof leak repair and more.
According to its sample contract, American Home Shield plans cover home repairs or replacements up to $6,000 per covered appliance under the ShieldPlatinum™ Plan. This is a generous coverage limit that no other home warranty company we reviewed could match, which is why we believe American Home Shield is the best home warranty for appliance coverage.
In addition to its extensive appliance coverage, AHS also provides comprehensive coverage for a variety of home systems, including HVAC, electrical, and plumbing. They also provide roof leak repair coverage. AHS will pay up to $1,500 total per agreement term for repair of roof leaks. Note that roof leak repair coverage is not available in Hawaii.
AHS also offers Shield Assurances with every plan. It’s part of what sets them apart from other home warranties. You’ll get coverage for things that aren’t automatically included in many home warranty plans, like old appliances, improper installation, mismatched systems, rust and corrosion, and more.
American Home Shield covers all components and parts of the following systems: ducted central electric split and package units, geothermal systems, wall air conditioners, and mini-split air conditioners. Items not covered include outside or underground piping, well pumps and their associated components, window units, water towers, and chillers. AHS will pay up to $10 per pound per occurrence for refrigerant; customers will have to pay for refrigerant that surpasses $10 per pound.
The following components of your heating system are covered: forced air units, geothermal units, wall-mounted heaters, room heaters, floor furnaces, and more. Items not covered include outside or underground piping, well pumps, fuel storage, tanks, fireplaces, and grain, pellet, or wood heating units.
Perhaps one of the most important systems in your home, your plumbing system should be completely covered. AHS covers leaks and breaks of water, drain, gas, waste, or vent lines, toilets, shower heads, diverter valves, permanently installed sump pumps, built-in bathtub whirlpool motors, pressure regulators, and the clearing of stoppages, among other items. Some items not covered include stoppages caused by collapsed, damaged, or broken lines outside the home’s main foundation, and lines broken or infiltrated by roots or foreign objects.
Home warranty coverage lasts for exactly one year after it begins. With American Home Shield, coverage begins 30 days after purchase or, if you acquired the plan in a real estate transaction, it begins the day of closing.
If you set up automatic payments, your plan will automatically renew at the end of the year. American Home Shield will notify you of the upcoming renewal at least 30 days in advance. You must be eligible for an extended home warranty, according to American Home Shield standards.
It’s important to review the terms of your desired plan so you know what’s covered and what’s not. American Home Shield warranty contracts specify the coverage details for each plan. A sample contract of an American Home Shield home warranty is available online.
One of the main differences between American Home Shield and its competitors is its leniency when it comes to coverage limits. American Home Shield offers coverage even if an appliance or system has been improperly installed, insufficiently maintained, or mismatched. However, AHS does not cover home systems or appliances that are already protected under a manufacturer’s warranty, which includes appliance warranty companies like Kenmore or Samsung. These limits and exclusions are far more generous than its competitors.
If you read the fine print of the American Home Shield agreement, you’ll learn that if American Home Shield is unable to repair or replace a covered item, AHS may offer money for you to repair or replace the item yourself. Note: American Home Shield is not liable for matching the brand, dimensions, or color of home systems or appliances.
American Home Shield is available to accept service requests online or through their customer service center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The warranty company has a network of professional contractors and technicians who are available across the U.S. to assist customers. There is no limit to the number of service requests you can make, but AHS will not be able to assist with your request if a service isn’t covered under your plan.
Once your request is approved, a customer service representative or contractor will get in touch with you directly to set up a time to make a home visit. American Home Shield claims that it approves and assigns professionals to a customer’s service request within the first 24 hours 98% of the time.
American Home Shield Availability
*American Home Shield covers all states except for Alaska.
As the longest running company in the home warranty industry, it’s not surprising that American Home Shield has garnered a lot of customers. The company does an excellent job responding to their consumer reviews. Here are some American Home Shield reviews featured on the company’s website:
“Fast and prompt service [when] replacing my dead water heater. They paid for the labor and the water heater. I had to pay for code upgrades. Not bad.” – Mark S. on May 7, 2019
“The actual service to get Appliance King for my refrigerator was fantastic. By talking to him on the phone, he already knew what the problem was and came with the replacement part on the following Monday. The service sent me emails to help ensure everything was taken care of.” – Gregory C. on April 24, 2019
“I have had American Home Shield for eight years and they always handle my warranty issues timely. Great company.” – Kevin D. on March 5, 2019
“AHS did a great job getting my leaky faucet fixed. Keep up the good work!” – Donna W. on March 4, 2019
“[We] requested the service call online. We were immediately contacted by AHS with the name and contact information of our contractor. Our appointment was promptly set for the next morning. Our contractor kept in touch with us, even to let us know that he was en route. They were pleasant and quick to solve our problem. Thank you, AHS!” – Carolyn W. on December 17, 2018
“They answered my request for a repair within minutes of calling and [I] was assigned a plumber immediately. The plumber called within an hour to set up an appointment. They arrived when promised and professionally completed the repairs.” – Robert C. on December 17, 2018
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives American Home Shield a B rating. Over the years, the company has done a great job at resolving complaints on the BBB website, which is a big factor in the BBB’s rating system. It shows that the home warranty company is responsive to its customers.
Additionally, the company has received a few awards over the years, including:
- 2019 America’s Best Midsize Employers Award by Forbes
- 2014–2015 Women’s Choice Award
- 2014 Home Warranty Awards “Best in Service” Award
On average, American Home Shield reviews aggregators give the company a solid 7.16 out of 10. Rating factors include comprehensive home warranty coverage, consumer-friendly service, and fewer exclusions. American Home Shield’s Combo Plan is also one of the cheapest home warranty plans in the industry.
American Home Shield Company Information
- Company name: American Home Shield
- Company type: Public
- CEO: Rex Tibbins
- Ticker symbol: SERV
- Founding date: 1/2/1971
- Address: 860 Ridge Lake Blvd Memphis, TN 38120
- Country: USA
- State availability: 49 states
- Service fee: $75–$125
- BBB rating: B
- Number of BBB complaints closed within last 3 years: 10,734
American Home Shield has served 1.7 million customers across 49 states in its 48 years of experience. In business since 1971, American Home Shield is the oldest home warranty company on the block. The company started the American home warranty industry and it’s a founding member of the National Home Service Contract Association.
American Home Shield At A Glance
|Cancel without fee within
|free within first 30 days
|Period to cancel automatic renewal
|Free Re-service Period (parts)
|Free Re-service Period (labor)
House Method gives American Home Shield 5 out of 5 stars. Since AHS founded the home warranty industry, we think the company knows what it’s doing. We also appreciate the responsiveness its customer service has shown on the BBB and other review sites by actively responding to American Home Shield complaints. What’s more: you can’t beat the huge coverage limits AHS has on its home warranty services.
American Home Shield is a good choice for you if…
- you want to protect your major home appliances.
- you want a plan with higher coverage limits on home repairs.
- you want technicians to remove and dispose of old appliances for free (most companies charge a removal/disposal fee but AHS doesn’t).
- you want a trustworthy company with many years in the business.
On the other hand, AHS might not be your first choice if…
- you want to choose your own service contractor to complete your home repair work.
- you prefer to work with smaller businesses (AHS is one of the largest home warranty companies with over 1,600 employees).
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is covered by American Home Shield?
- American Home Shield has four home warranty plans
1. Appliance Plan—Covers major appliances, including a refrigerator, dishwasher, and clothes washer/dryer
2. Systems Plan—Covers home systems, like electrical and plumbing
3. Combo Plan—Covers both home systems and appliances that are covered under each plan above
4. Build-Your-Own Plan—Gives you the option of choosing 10 major systems and appliances you want covered
5. Optional add-ons include pool and spa, guest units up to 750 square feet, and well and septic pumps.
Note: American Home Shield will not cover appliances that are already covered under a manufacturer’s warranty, which includes appliance warranty companies like Maytag and GE
- How much does American Home Shield cost?
- American Home Shield costs $20–$65 per month. In general, home warranty costs will vary based on the homeowner’s location, the plan they choose, and whether they add on any optional coverage.
Customers are also required to pay a service fee for every service request that’s approved. American Home Shield’s service fees range from $75 to $125. Customers can opt for a lower service fee for a high premium or vice versa.
- Does American Home Shield replace appliances?
- It’s up to the warranty company to decide whether to offer its customers a repair or replacement for any of the appliances that are explicitly written into the plan. If American Home Shield does replace an appliance, it’s not liable to match the brand, dimensions, or color of the broken appliance.
- Does American Home Shield require an inspection?
- Like other home warranties, American Home shield does not require a home inspection to grant customers coverage. The age of your home and its systems and appliances will not affect coverage either. Although not required, a home inspection may be useful in the case that you must prove a pre-existing condition is unknown to you since the majority of home warranties do not cover pre-existing conditions.
- Can you cancel American Home Shield?
- You can cancel your American Home Shield home warranty at any time. The company will refund your contract fees if you cancel within the first 30 days of coverage. If you cancel after that, the provider will refund you a prorated amount for the remaining duration of your coverage term.
- Is there a waiting period for American Home Shield?
- You can make a service request as early as 30 days after you sign up for your warranty. If you purchased coverage during a home sale, your home warranty coverage starts on closing day.
- Do American Home Shield plans cover septic systems?
- American Home Shield does not cover septic tanks. However, American Home Shield offers first-year customers non-renewable coverage of the sewage ejector pump for septic systems, according to its sample contract, which includes mainline stoppages that can be cleared without excavation. The septic tank will be pumped once during the contract coverage term if the stoppage is due to backed up septic. Exclusions apply.
- Do American Home Shield plans cover electrical?
- Yes, American Home Shield covers electrical under its Systems Plan. With this plan, American Home Shield will pay $1,000–$1,500 per covered item. Additional covered home systems include:Air conditioning and ductwork, Heating and ductwork, Doorbells, Smoke detectors, Ceiling fans, Plumbing (including stoppages), Water heaters, Garbage disposals, Water dispensers, Central vacuums, Re-key